Heart Disease Community
Memory loss after Heart Surgery
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Memory loss after Heart Surgery

I
Related Discussions
6 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
thats wonderful jag, thats what this place is here for! its so nice to hear of people who find the experience based support that members here provide to be helpful.. Im glad you get a chance for the lifestyle you want and im sure with time you will adjust perfectly.. Welcome!!
Blank
61536_tn?1340701763
Hey there :)  I'm happy to hear that your valve replacement surgery went well.  I've heard a lot of people say they experience memory loss after heart surgeries.  My father had some substantial memory issues, but he is also on a beta blocker.  Beta blockers are notorious for blocking memory recall, and in fact are being tested for use in people with post traumatic stress disorder for that specific purpose.  My dad thought he was going crazy too.  I tell him he still is, just not for that reason ;)
Blank
88793_tn?1290230777
My Dr prescribed Valium 5mg twice a day + 10mg before bed + beta blocker for me when I was 15 years old.  I was in high school!  I needed to pass the examination to go up to Form 4!  Don't have to mention my memory, my eyes unable to open and my head was keep falling on the desk during the classes.  Anyway, I passed the exam and moved on!
Blank
Before triple bypass there was one doctor doing a study & if you were lucky enough you got MAGNESIUM before surgery.  
Blank
Memory loss after open heart surgery is called "pump head", referring to being on the heart/lung bypass machine.  It can cause memory loss, or even complete personality changes, and is thought to be linked to the speed at which they rewarm the body after surgery...if done too soon, there is a shift in the blood flow to the brain.  some people come out of surgery, and they just aren't "quite right".

The other possibility is the anti-depressant...i wasn't sure if you were having the memory problems before you started it.  I was on Lexapro during my divorce (situational depression, to say the least!), and i found i had no memory.  it also affected my handwriting, and gave me a tremor.  anti-depressants target the amount of seratonin floating around in your brain, making what's available stay there longer with the hopes it will be put to good use.  This could be the cause of your memory loss (or could be making the results of the surgery seem worse) and should be discussed with your doctor.

Good luck,
steph
Blank
Thanks for all your comments. I enjoyed reading each of them.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
MedHelp Health Answers
Recent Activity
Blank
ill13632 severe disease Comment
Apr 14
1317224_tn?1378708734
Blank
MaryLL I'm feeling good 16 months ... Comment
Apr 13