Memory loss due to coma after heart surgery
Hey guys, i heard so much about this forum. I wanted to ask you something...

I had a very close friend..whom i have known for last three years. She had a heart condition and had to go through surgery. the first time she went for the surgery for widening of the mitral valve i think, she went to a coma for three days and she couldnt' be operated for the initial objective. HOwever, there was no other damage and she was still fine.

They put her monitor for few more months..and she had to undergo an emergency surgery the second time around. Though there was a huge risk involved due to her fluctuating vital statistics, the surgery was a success but she went to a coma again. this time it was for fifteen odd days. though she recovered and is completely fine..its been three days she's out of coma..she seems disoriented. she only remembers her mom, dad and only her childhood. she's 24 years old. everyone says its only a temporary memory loss. i talked to her for the first time..she talked and laughed to me the exactly same way and did say my voice was very familiar.. but despite talking to her for an hour..she oculdn't remember me..i know this is common..but since her coma was for such a long time..i am worried. it had been so difficult to maintain our friendship........and i don't want to lose her if she forgets me. sounds real corny given the situation but i wanted to know if anyone of you have been in sismilar circumstances or how does this memory thing fits in ......if her memory is gonna be regained to its original status.
any comments will highly be appreciated.
Ssnurp
Hello

So sorry for your friend's condition. I think it is still really early in her recovery to expect normalcy any time soon. I really have no knowledge in this area, I just wanted to express my sadness in hearing of your friend's condition. I do wish that you will follow up and give us good news soon.

Jack
Thank you Jack.

I have been talking to her. She's exactly the same of course, she doesnt remember me. and i feel sorta distant from her. Its been a week now.