Heart Disease Community
Metoprolol - Depression/Anxiety?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

Metoprolol - Depression/Anxiety?

I have been taking Metoprolol for about 1 year. Started at 25 mg. I weighed 170lbs at ~5'5, October 2007. Upped to 50mg. Gained to 195, March 2008. Upped to 100mg. Gained to 220lbs, July 2008. I am now at 220 still at 100mg.
I have been experiencing depression & anxiety while on this med. Never really before since taking it, maybe minor depression in middle school/high school. I am now 19 & have pretty severe depression with no mental health insurance. Also experiencing anxiety which I have never experienced before. All since I started my meds in 07 & haven't stopped since.

I'm scheduling an appointment with my doc ASAP about the weight gain. I know 50lbs is not a healthy weight gain & if we're trying to make my heart healthier by taking metoprolol, being obese isn't going to help my heart much. I eat LESS than I did before I started taking the meds & exercise MORE. This weight gain makes NO sense.

I have addressed the depression/anxiety in the past & he said "exercise more". I exercise 3-4 times a week, sometimes more. I don't think this is normal. He also said anxiety/depression are NOT side effects of metoprolol.

Has anyone else experience anxiety/depression while on metoprolol, especially on high doses?

BTW I take metoprolol for IST.
I take this medication as well and have been on it for 3 years.  I have never experienced depression while on this medication.  I believe your doctor is correct in that this is not a side effect of the medication.  I have not heard of weight gain from this medication as well.  Maybe this is a side effect of your depression?  In other words, you are eating more because you are depressed.
Hi, Star. You can look on drug info sites and see that anxiety is an infrequent side effect of metoprolol and other BBs. Same with weight gain, and even a reference to increasing any pre-existing depression.

When you have rare side effects, it can be difficult to convince anybody that the effect is real and does come from the drug. I'd identify what web sites he would consider to be as authoritative sources, then print web pages from those sources that list your symptoms as rare side effects. Hopefully, he'll listen.

You'll also see warnings to *not* stop this drug all of a sudden, btw.
I have found several websites mentioning depression as a side effect of metoprolol. I have only been on metoprolol for 3 months and have had a bad bout with depression. Something is just not right. I was fine before I started the drug and now cannot shake the moods and sadness. Everything in my life is going well, so by my estimation, the depression seems only to come from this medication. I am going to check with my doctor to see if there is another beta blocker for my condition.
Star...believe your body and find a doctor who knows his/her stuff, listens to you and treats you with respect.

YES,
          Metoprolol does have a side effect of depression, dreams / nightmares. I am taking 100 mg., twice a day,  along with Sotalol and commoudin. Always tired, lack of energy & concentration at times, and vision problems. (I was on 100 mg. of Metoprolol, three times a day).
Hey, I have been on meteprolol since 2003 and I have recently experienced a change in weight, mood, dreams, nightmares. I am also tired, lack of energy lack of concentration also. My vision is also a problem at time. My dosage was also increased from 25 to 50 mg. It has got me worried also as well. So don't fee alone, because I am experiencing the same symptoms.
*YES* depression is described as a commonly reported side effect for Metoprolol.  My guess however is that this is not going to be specific to metoprolol, but all beta blockers, but I am not sure about that. Some medical outlets describe as its most common side effect.

Metoprolol can cause weight gain as well. It is not completely understood why, however among other things, it can cause high blood sugar levels so that would be one link.

It is usually recommended that you report either of these side effects to your doctor.

Also you can just do a search for metoprolol depression and see results for info about reports of depression, lists of drug side effect can be found on sites like rxlist.com

I wanted to followup on the 2nd complaint of weight gain.  lets face it, beta blockers slow the metabolism, and metoprolol is known to cause high blood sugar as well, so this combo easily can gain to weight gain.  Any sudden weight gain should be reported to your doctor however, as there can be other issues, like water retention.  This can be caused as well, but can be a result of an underling condition, so it is important to identify.  
Can't you simply tell your Doctor that you don't like that medication, it doesn't agree with you and then insist on a different one? The way I see it is that it's your body, and the Doctor is there to serve you.
I feel the same way. I have been on metoprolol for six months. I'm supposed to be an essayist, and I haven't written any essays while on it. In addition to feeling vaguely depressed, I also feel that the edge is taken off things. I don't feel sharp and smart. I don't suddenly have funny thoughts that I feel like going and writing down.

I'm going to my cardiologist in a couple of days to ask if I can try a different medicine. (I've already cut down my dosage of metoprolol a couple of times, with her approval.)

Right now I'm going to google some alternatives, like calcium channel blockers, and something called carvedilol. Also ACE-inhibitors and angiotensin-II receptor antagonists.