Heart Disease Expert Forum
Mid sternum Pains

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Mid sternum Pains

Since I was 8 years old i have been experiencing mid sternum chest pains and soreness on a daily bases. I ache when i sit up from a supile position, whenever i bend down or even twist my shoulders around. I even ache when i roll over. At times my chest area is sore to the touch. In the past i was treated for a possible chest infection and told that there was fluid in my lungs. I am 22 years old now and I have been to several doctors. None of whom can give me a clear reason for my aches. I was diagnosed with mild mitrial valve prolapse earlier this year so far my symptoms have gotton worse and I only get minimal relieve from the verapamil I am on. Can you please help me?
It is very difficult to evaluate you over the internet. I would need to look at your medical records, examine you  and see what has been done, and what needs to be done next. The pain you describe is very atypical for heart related pain, unless it is caused by a congenital anomaly. In that case a CT of the chest could show all of the heart related structures and that there are no anomalies. An echo cardiogram showing only mild MVP, with a normal ejection fraction is also reassuring that this is not related either to coronary or valvular disease.
Where you told why there was fluid in your lungs? That is most often caused by heart failure, but can also be caused by infections or blood clots... In any case, the evaluation for this process needs to be considered, because it may give the underlying reason for the fluid in the lungs.