Heart Disease Expert Forum
Mild Aneurysmal Dilatation of the Ascending Thoracic Aorta

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Im 54 male 6' 3 235 and found out that I had a dilatation measuring 4.8 cm.   Long story but the 4.8 cm measurement was from January 2007.   Anxious here and headed for a heart thoracic ct within the week.  Is anyone in a similar situation?
The stability of the aneurysm size since 2007 is reassuring.  If you do not have any family history of aneurysm or dissections, no genetic conditions which would predispose you to dissections, and no aortic valve disease, the aorta can be followed.  The likely would not operate on your aorta (in the absence of symptoms or the above risk factors) until the size measures 5.5 cm by CT scan.  In addition, there have been studies that look at the cross sectional area of the aorta adjusted for body surface area, and if the area of the aneurysm in cm2 divided by the BSA is greater than 10 it is considered higher risk.  If it is lower than 10 it is considered low risk.  If you are seeing a cardiothoracic surgeon, I would make sure to get an opinion from more than one person before proceeding to an operation on your aorta.  I did a back of the envelope calculation and since you are not a small man, your aorta in reference to your size is not terribly large.  Your aneurysm area vs. BSA ratio is 7.6 which is less than 10 of course.
The only time surgeons operate on aorta's less than 5 cm would be if you have a family history of aortic aneurysm and dissection or rupture, or conditions such as bicuspid valve, Ehlers-Danlos, Loeys-Dietz, or Marfan's syndrome.  In the abscence of these conditions, I think, with the information I have, you could be followed with serial imaging.
Also, they would operate if your aneurysm grows by more than 0.5 cm per year