Heart Disease Community
Mild Pulmonary Hypertension

A community of people with Heart Disease to guide and support your heart-health journey. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: symptoms, nutrition, and management.

Mild Pulmonary Hypertension

I recently had a echo done and my cardio said I have very mild PH.. the report says normal size inferior vena cava:estimated right atrial pressure of 0-5mmHg, mild PH.

The cardio told me this is of no concern and no futher testing is needed. Doing a search I found this be very progressive and serious. I know a echo is not really reliable for this measurement but I am concerned about this.

I do take a small dose odf B/P meds and was a smoker until a year ago.

There were a few other things on the report as mild regurg but nothing to concern me other than this PH.

Thanks for any feed back, Palmy  
You are correct to be cocerned regarding PH.  Many cardiologists don't get involved with the medical condition of PH until the right ventricle and atrium enlarges and becomes a heart problem. Almost always valve regurgitation is of no medical significance and does not progress.

You should contact a respiratory specialist for an evaluation. There could pulmonary emboli (clots) in the lungs, etc, and/or pulmonary artery that carries blood to the lungs could have some occlusion.

Thanks for your question, and if you have any further questions or comments you are invited to respond. Take care,

Ken

And thank you for answering my post. I had a echo done 9 months ago and was dxed with moderate PH. After reading some posts I believe the the right ventricle  systolic prssure is the clue to PH. my cardio wanted a recheck because the first echo was done at another facility and my pressure 51.2, this echo was done in the cardio's office and he read the report and my pressure was 43.1 mmHg.

Thanks, Palmy
Thanks for your response, and I wish you well going forward.

Ken
Is the rvsp pressure that same a pap pressure? my one report has both numbers but they are the same, the other report had only rsvp. How could the pressure regress almost 9 points in  less than 1 year/. What does normal infereor vena cava mean with estimated right atrial presure of 0-5mmHg.?

I did have a chest xray prior to a colonostopy two weeks ago and it was unremarkable.

Palmy
PAP (pulmonary artery pressure) and RVSP (right ventricle systolic pressure) is used to estimate right side pressures in the vessels leading to the lungs. The calculations are used to determine pulmonary hypertension. Normal value is less than 35 mmHg. A reading above 40 mmHg would be considered mild pulmonary hypertension.

Right atrial pressure has a normal range of 0-5 mmHg

An echo is not a very good source to determine.  If the doctor is concerned about the estimated values from an echo a  right cath would be more accurate.  I don't believe a pressure is a static value and may normally flucuate.

Hope this helps.  Take care,

Ken