Heart Disease Expert Forum
Mild discomfort in chest and tingling in left arm for days?

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

I'm a twenty year old male, 6 ft tall with a weight of 145lbs. I have a fairly healthy diet with no known pre-existing conditions.

About a week ago I began to have a very subtle and mild discomfort in my chest (If I had to pick a position, I would say the center of my chest). I wouldn't exactly call it pain, but it comes and goes throughout the day, usually more towards the evening. It's very mild, in the sense that I never have to stop what I'm doing. The reason why this concerns me is that it comes alongside a very slight tingling and numbness in my left arm, which of course are two symptoms of a heart attack. I'm confused however by the subtlety of the sensations in my arm and chest and the fact that they've been present for a few days.

This morning I concluded that it may possibly be brought on by caffeine use? Part of my job requires me to drink tea all day, so I'm constantly consuming caffeinated beverages. I noticed today that the sensations began with my morning cup of black tea. Of course, the subtlety of the sensations also leads me to believe that I may just be crazy and exaggerating things in my head, so can anyone clear this up for me? Could it just be anxiety? I've already scheduled a doctor's appointment for a week from today just to be sure, but I'd love some peace of mind until then.

You may have already seen your physician at this point - but given your young age and reported use of significant caffeine, this could very well related to anxiety or from your exogenous stimulant use.  If you are having continued symptoms and have not seen a physician, getting a regular check-up would allow for a complete history and physical examination to be performed which would allow a complete assessment of your symptoms and other medical history.