Heart Disease Expert Forum
Mini-Maze heart surgery

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Mini-Maze heart surgery
Is a paralyzed/collapsed diaphragm a common risk to the Mini-Maze heart surgery?
Not much research has been performed about the MINI maze procedure, as for instance the actual long term results and effectiveness of this procedure are also not well delineated. I think that the collective experience ( that is the published data) amounts to less than 100 patients. Hence, it is in my mind not well studied and not yet a proven technique for curing AF. Phrenic nerve injury has not been reported as being one of the common complications with the Mini maze procedure, because essentially the pericardium is lifted off of the heart before ablation energy is delivered.
A related discussion, Possible connection between inop  left phrenic nerve and my heart? was started.
A related discussion, mini maze and phrenic nerve damage was started.