Heart Disease Community
Mitral & Tricuspid Regurtation with Aortic Valve Trileaflet

A community of people with Heart Disease to guide and support your heart-health journey. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: symptoms, nutrition, and management.

I recently had an echo and the results are confusing.  My pulmonary doctor told me all was well, but he copy did not say all normal.  When I question the physician she stated many people have these results and this is nothing to be worried about, but she is not a cardiologist and I have been having symptoms of concern.  Can you please tell me what the following means for me?  I am a 41 year old female.

1) Mitral valve leaflets appears normal.  Mobility appears normal.  No stenosis present.  THEREIS TRACE MITRAL REGURATATION PRESENT.

2) THE AORTIC VALVE IS TRILEAFLET. No stenosis present.  No reguritation.

3) The tricuspid valve appears normal.  No stenosis present.  THERE IS TRACE TRICUSPID REGURITATION PRESENT.

Thank you so much!
Thank you for your questions and sharing your experience.

>>>>trace, mild, etc indicates no medically significance.  Some leakage, not uncommon and almost always will no progress or cause a problem.

>>>>>>>no problem.  Valve opening normal, no leakage.

>>>>>>>slight leakage no medical significance.

Hope this helps if not you can followup with questions. Take care.
FWIW, I agree with kenkeith that the statements that you have quoted for us are consistent with the presence of functional heart valves that are doing their job quite adequately.  Just as your doctor indicated, trace mitral regurgitation and trace tricuspid regurgitation are found in many, many people who are completely healthy and who never even know that they have such a thing as trace regurgitation.  

Most people go through their entire lives without ever having an echocardiogram, so they never know whether their heart is "all normal," or not.  They just live, without thinking too much about the inner workings of their heart.  You, unfortunately, have symptoms, so you have been forced to think about it.

Trace regurgitation, even in two valves, would not be expected to give you any symptoms.  From the findings you state, it does not sound like any of these three heart valves (mitral, aortic, or tricuspid) is the cause of your problems.   The results of an echocardiogram do not have to be perfect, in order to be normal.  

All of of have bodily imperfections that we live with.  Trace regurgitation is an imperfection on that order.  The issue is that you did not know that you have it, before now.  It would be a mistake to make too much of it, simply because you now know about it.  

Good luck on getting some relief from your symptoms.  I'm sorry you are having this trouble.  It must be frustrating not to get the answers you need, but try to be patient.  I would look in another direction for the cause of the problem.  It may be that your help will come from an unexpected source.  
BTW, the aortic valve is supposed to be trileaflet.  The doctor is saying that it is a normal shape, like it should be, with three leaflets.  Any number of leaflets other than three would be abnormal for the aortic valve.  
Well sometimes there are 3 leaflets, but two are fused together and that can present a problem, however, the tricuspid valve is structually normal. .   Why is the pulmonary doctor involved?  What are your symptoms that concern you? Do you have pulmonary hypertension?
BloodPressure Tracker
Monitor Your Blood Pressure
HeartRhythm Tracker
Track your Heart Condition
LindaTX commented on margypops's status
Aug 28
LindaTX commented on mkh9's status
Aug 28
Aaronhoffer added the Heart Rhythm Tracker
Aug 28