Heart Disease Expert Forum
Mitral Regurgitation

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Mitral Regurgitation
Posted By Sandi on July 08, 1999 at 11:36:49
I am a 30 year old female and have been diagnosed with mild mitral regurgitation.  The Dr. said that there was thickening of my anterior and posterior mitral valve leaflets, but is not sure exactly what caused it. He thinks it is possible that I may have had rheumatic fever when I was younger.  My echocardiogram also showed mild pulmonic insufficiency and mild tricuspid regurgitation.  Is this pretty normal?  How could three of the four valves been affected?  Does this tend to get worse over time?  Is this different than mitral valve prolapse?  My Dad had cardiomyopathy, which I know is not related to what I have, but my family still gets concerned.  He had a transplant about 7 years ago and is doing great!! I have low blood pressure, usually averages around 100/55 and my heart rate is usually in the mid 50's.  Sometimes it will get in the 40's and I can tell when it does because my hands and feet get cold and I feel really tired.  I am very active and run 3-4 miles about 3-5 times a week.  Is this blood pressure and heart rate too low?  If so, what causes it to be low?  Thanks for your time.

Follow Ups:

Re: Mitral Regurgitation CCF CARDIO MD - DLB 7/08/1999
(2)

Mitral Regurgitation Julie 7/08/1999
(1)

(0)