Heart Disease Expert Forum
Mitral Valve/A-Fib

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Mitral Valve/A-Fib

My cardiologist has scheduled a TEE for a better look at my Mitral value, after 2 echo's he is thinking that my mitral value will need repair. I have chronic A-Fib and am presently on Betapace and warafin. After the TEE he wants to do a heart Cath. My question is can the C.C. fix both at once through the min.invasive procedure, and do I get the heart cath. here or wait to do it at the C.C.. I live 75 miles from the Cleveland Clinic. How many people get both done and what is the success rate. Thanks for your help.
Elrod,

Thanks for the questions.

When you say "can the C.C. fix both at once through the min.invasive procedure", do you mean perform a mitral valve repair and Maze procedure?  I'll assume that this is what you mean.

The short answer is "No".  Both the MVR and Maze procedures are difficult procedures, and cannot be done together through a minimally invasive procedure.  They can both be done with the standard procedure.  Also, I will add the caveat to my answer that the particulars of your mitral valve might allow a minimally invasive MVR if combined with a different type of afib ablation procedure, such as that done with robotics.  Your particulars need to be discussed with a surgeon to determine the surgical details.

The decision about where to have the heart cath is up to you.

We do several thousand valve surgeries here per year, much more than anywhere else in the world, with the highest success rates in the world.  The chance for a successful operation for any given person depends on their particulars -- age, EF, status of the valve, concomitant coronary artery disease, etc.

Hope that helps.

1 Comment
A related discussion, a fib/with mitral valve prolapse was started.