Heart Disease Community
Mitral Valve Prolaps

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

Mitral Valve Prolaps

I have been haveing near fainting spells and now I get sudden sensations of droping like on a elevator out of nowhere. I am having heart test done and  a doctor told me that he thinks I may have Mitral Valve prolapse. I am so worried because I know that some people have to have valve surgery and it's open heart and that terrifyies me so much.If anybody can give me any personal experience related to MVP please do. Have you tried beta blockers and have they helped? Have you had surgery and how bad was the recovery? What were your symptoms before treatment... Thanks any info will be appreciated..
Mitral Valve Prolapse is a cardiac anomaly, but it does not require suregery.  However, if your have severe Mitral Regurgiation (leakage), that is something that would have to be evaluated, and surgery would be a possibility.  There are varying degrees, and unless it is severe, it is generally and watch and see type thing.  Does your doctor feel you have a leaky valve?

Have you worn a Holter monitor or an Event monitor to try and capture your heart rhythm while you are having the near fainting spells?  
Thanks for responding, I haven't had the monitor yet but will soon. I am just so worried because I keep having these horrible almost fainting episodes and severe anxiety. I have also had chronic fatiuge for seven months now and have lost 20 lbs. I was diagnosed with MONO 7 months ago and haven't gotten any better and thats why I went to the cardiologist and he thinks this is all from the mitral VP. If it is all from that I just don't know if the beta blockers will fix this and I really don't to have surgery especially open heart. I am only 26 and I just don't know what to do..How often do the beta blockers really fix this?
hi my mam faints and gets weak all the time, she having surgery wednesday to have aorta and mitral valve replaced and by pass, it is a very big operation and the recovery time is 12 weeks, but she will have a better quality of life after so i awould consider it if it affecting your life, how old are you? medical operations have come along way in recent years so good luck
The monitors are great because the doctor can "SEE" what you're experiencing. It will give you greater peace of mind that he/she can see your heart rhythm at the time of the near fainting episode. Anxiety can be so tricky -- It can bring on some physical symptoms, and can make others worse.  You are certain it is a serious medical condition...UGH!!  Many of us have anxiety issues, so we really do understand how frustrating it can be.  Hang in there, we're here to help.  : )

When my daughter was 19, she ended up with a terrible case of Mono, was hospitalized and it knocked the daylights out of her.  That was about 9 years ago, and to this day she still tires easily and has trouble if she does not get enough rest.  Most of the time, she is fine, but when she is pushing herself too hard -- her resistance goes down and she's exhausted and tends to pick up whatever's "going around."  I know how frustrated you are, but I also know there are better days ahead....Adequate rest, some exercise, a good diet and less stress are all good ideas.  Oddly enough, my dtr. took beta blockers for about a year for migraine headaches -- worked miracles for her, no side effects!

I was on beta blockers for many years, for PVCs.  If that is what's going on, you may find relief with the BB's.  Some do, some do not.  BBs often make patients tired at first, but it does get better.  I can't imagine you would need surgery if he thinks it is MVP....Did he say anything about MR (mitral regurg, a murmur)??  
Yes the doc said I have a murmur. He said my fevers may be from blood backing up. I am just so scared.  I don't want surgery! I am having the ecocardiogram thursday and I hope that will tell alot about whats going on..
hi my mam had aortic valve replacement and mitral valve repair last wednesday operation went very well and she is recovering well. she will be in hospital for another week and then going to a convalescene home for two weeks, she was originally told she needed both valves replaced but they said it was too risky to replcace mitral valve because there was too much calcium around which could have damaged heart.they said repair was good and should last.she is happy she had op as she had no quality of life before and please god when she is recovered she will have a life again