Heart Disease Expert Forum
Mitral Valve Prolapse Question
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Mitral Valve Prolapse Question

Last year my 20 year old daughter was diagnosed with minute mitral valve prolapse. There was no regurgitation on the echocardiogram. However, it showed that her septum was mildly hypokinetic with some paradoxical wall motion. The doctor said it was most likely an aberration. Should I be worried at all?
1 Comment
Blank
Lyon,
It does not sound like you should be worried.  If it is only isolated "minute" or minimal mitral valve prolapse with regurgitation, then I would not be worried at all.  That is a very common finding in the female population in general and normally most patients have no difficulty.  Some patients can progress to worsening prolapse with severe mitral regurgitation which can lead to symptoms of shortness of breath, chest pain, etc.  The mild hypokinesis and paradoxical wall motion can be seen on many essentially normal echos; its difficult for me to say exactly what is going on without seeing the study myself, but I would suspect it is nothing to worry about.  Hope that helps.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
Blank
Request an Appointment
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank