Heart Disease Expert Forum
Mitral Valve Repair in a 2 year old
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Mitral Valve Repair in a 2 year old

My 2 year old daughter has moderate to severe mitral insufficiency due to an anterior leaflet prolapse.  Her left atrium and left ventricle have increased in size significantly in the last 3 months.  She is starting to show signs of excessive sweating and difficulty breathing upon exercise.  We are expecting that she will need surgery to repair her mitral valve soon.  Our in-state surgeon does not feel confident that he can successfully repair her valve due to his lack of experience with anterior leaflet repairs.  He has advised us to seek a surgeon that has more experience and a higher success rate in this type of congenital defect.   He has suggested 2 surgeons, but I want to feel confident that we are in fact choosing the best surgeon for our daughter.

Q:  How can I research and find surgeons with the most experience and the highest success rate in repairing an anterior leaflet prolapse in a 2 year old?   We are willing to go to any location to have the best chance of a valve repair and not a valve replacement.  

Q:  Is a minimally-invasive approach feasible for a mitral valve repair in a 2 year old who weighs 27 pounds?  How can I find which, if any, surgeons have had success using this approach in toddlers, without visiting them individually?  I have spoken with one well-respected surgeon who said that he would not attempt the minimally-invasive approach in a young child.

Thank you!
Teri - Lexie's Mom