Heart Disease Expert Forum
Mitral Valve Surgery

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Mitral Valve Surgery
Posted By shannon on March 01, 1999 at 18:37:48:

Folks --
This is a question for medical professionals and any others who read this Forum.
1.  I am scheduled for a mitral valve repair or replacement in a week.  Any advice I can get for preparing myself would be very helpful -- even down to the little things like what to bring to the hospital.
2.  Does anyone have information on the ratio between repairs and replacements for the mitral valve?  My doctor hopes to repair the valve, unless he finds that a replacement is necessary.  I'm trying to get some sense of the comparative numbers.
3.  A question my doctor answered but I don't understand: why do repair patients generally need to be on heart medications following surgery?  What kind of medications (e.g., beta blockers, etc.)?
Thanks for any and all comments and suggestions.  This is a great forum.
Shannon