Heart Disease Expert Forum
Mitral valve prolapse possibility?

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Mitral valve prolapse possibility?

So I am an 18 year old girl (102 lbs, 5' 2'') with a range of symptoms that make me think I have mitral valve prolapse. First of all, it is in my family- my mother and grandmother have been diagnosed ( my mom said with MVP tachycardia). One thing to keep in mind as I go through my symptoms is that I can be a hypochondriac and get a bit obsessive over these things, so I've been hesitant to go to a doctor about any of this for years. Also, the anxiety and such could be explained by the fact that I have gone through stressful situations with family in my life (which could also mean all of this could be caused by depression). I'm posting all of this up to confirm that I should go see a doctor, or that my symptoms could be explained by other things that don't mean anything.

So, first of all I have always had problems with anxiety and panic attacks. I always feel like my heart is racing, especially after doing small things or taking a walk.

One thing that has bothered me for a few years now is that I'll randomly have pain throughout my abdomen and chest that's really painful. I feel like every month or so I'll have this and it usually lasts an hour or so at most. Maybe just gas?

Something that really makes me think I have MVP is every once and a while my heart will feel like it is beating really hard and weird, my mom said palpitation is definitely a sign of it.

I am always tired, I read a symptom of MVP is chronic fatigue.

I also read about dysautonomia. That talks about chronic fatigue syndrome and irritable bowl syndrome, which would make sense, and also that  it is linked to people with MVP.

Thanks.
1 Comment
If you have never been to a cardiologist then you need to go see one, especially w/ your family history