Heart Disease Expert Forum
Mitral valve prolapse with mile regurgitation

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

I was diagnosed with this about four years ago and wonder if this is something that does not always get worse?
Avatar dr m tn
The condition you mentioned -- mitral valve prolapse with mild mitral regurgitation, is a very common diagnosis.  Overall, only between 5-10% of people with mitral valve prolapse (MVP) go on to develop severe mitral regurgitation (MR), that is, a severe leakage of blood from the left ventricle to the left atrium.  In your specific case there are additional considerations -- 1. how “mild” is your mild MR and has it progressed in the 4 years since your initial diagnosis? 2. Your age and gender, since older, male patients tend to have more severe MR than young female patients (these are the two distinct groups that tend to have MVP).  

So my recommendations are 1. have routine followup cardiologist visits and echocardiograms every 2 years or so; 2. be mindful of symptoms of shortness of breath and fatigue out of proportion to degree of exercise; 3. IF you have high blood pressure, it should be aggressively treated since MR could worsen when blood pressure is too high (greater than 130/80).  
Thank you, going today to get the Echo results, praying I will be ok.