Heart Disease Community
Mitral valve prolapse

A community of people with Heart Disease to guide and support your heart-health journey. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: symptoms, nutrition, and management.

Mitral valve prolapse

Does a mitral valve prolapse cause a bruit in one or both carotid artieries / one or both sides of neck?  My dr found a bruit on one side.  The doppler came out fine ..... no plaque buildup.

thanks
Any bruit in the neck would be of aortic valve origin and not of mitral cause. Since the Doppler showed nothing abnormal in the carotids, try to look for the thyroid. Examination and ultrasound of the thyroid would exclude another cause. Another origin of the bruit would be a stenosis of the subclavian artery. It won’t do any harm to tell your doctor about this possibility.
Finally, if you don’t complain from anything, you can just consider it as a normal variation and forget about it.

Thank you for the post "brokenpen".  My cardiologist has told me that bruits come from the mitral valve ... he never mentioned aortic valve.  My thyroid is fine.  Also I had a doppler of the carotids and they were clear.  I've never had the bruit until recently so it's something of new original and the doctors can't figure it out.  I'm so confused.  He might be sending me for a CTA (CT of head neck / angiogram) to look further.  Have you ever heard of this?  He also wants to rule out an aneurysm?????? UUUGGGH
BloodPressure Tracker
Monitor Your Blood Pressure
HeartRhythm Tracker
Track your Heart Condition
CARBS!
9 hrs ago by gymdandee
Paxiled commented on Soy products may decr...
YohaniK1912 added the Heart Rhythm Tracker
Jul 30