Mitral valve replacement
I just found out I have a torn mitral valve and need replacement. I am 68, has right diaphargmcollepesd,slight boold pressure( 137+-5 and 70+/-5),osteopina condition,excersie daily, not out of breath or feel tired or anything else.Relative in a good stable health. Just got catherization done. Right coronery artey is cloged at two places 70% and 90%. During this process i became victin of TIA. Double vision for 24 hours.Doctors give two choices 1.Open heart and take care of both the problem 2. Cardiologist do stent balloning and sugeon fix the torn valve. No need on new valve in any case.
Question:
1. Which surgery is right for me with all these condition ?
2. If i had TIA once, am i again going to have TIA if i do second choice ?what about in first choice ?
3.Dos my recovery after open heart will get slow because i have weak bones?
4.Does collepesed diaphargm has any impact on recovery after the surgeries ?
5. How long it takes to recover in each procedure ?
6. What is  life of stent ?
7. Do I have to be on drugs for life. I started taking Crestor and full body Asprin ( 325 mg).
8 Advantage and disadvantage of each process for me with these condition.
Thanks and best regards  111042.

Hi there Agent 111042  :)

I was 32 at the time that I had my mitral valve repaired.  I really didn't have a choice and had to get it done as at the time of my surgery I was in heart failure, heart enlarged, EF 35% and pulmonary hypertention.  SOB with minimal excertion, A-fib and irregular heartbeats, very low BP and fast HR.  It is now 3 years later and I am doing great.

My advice to you:  you have blocked up arteries and the mitral valve that needs to be replaced.  You already had TIA and next time can be a stroke or heart attack.  The Crestor should bring your cholestorol levels down, but the rest of the damage will be there until Surgeon fix it.

Taking your age in consideration:  if you are otherwise in good health I would go for it and get the Mitral valve replaced and the blocked arteries bypassed.  They can replace your valve with Tissue valve, then you don't need Warfarin, etc.

Open heart surgery is a big operation and it will take some time to fully recover.  I don't think the weak bones and collapsed diaphrahm will slow recovery down.  Sternum will be wired together and that will keep it in tact.

Please feel free to talk to me again.  I have been there, done that and it really improved my life.

Keep in touch.
Thanks for an excellent reply. In general I am in a good health. Non Diabetic, active person.
      you suggested to go for open heart.How about the recovery phase. What do i expect ?
Even though you had no choice but open heart, what you think about  getting done the  stent for the clog  by cardologist and followed by surgeon for minimum invasive surgery for valve ?
   My doctors are talking about stiching the valve rather then new valve.
  Best regards
     Jay  
Hi Jay

We lived in South Africa when I had my surgery (moved to Australia, 4 months ago!) and I didn't have option of minimal invasive or robotic - just the old fashioned OHS.  But things happen for a reason and I had a good outcome.

It would be perfect for you if they can repair your existing valve!  then I would also say go for the minimal invasive surgery to fix the valve and an angioplasty and stents for the blocked arteries.

Open heart surgery is a very risky operation, although they say the survival rate is 90% but I think with age it becomes rather complicated.  Lungs are usaually your biggest enemy post-op.  I lost a friend, he was 62, who had OHS to get his Aorta valve replaced.  He died 8 days later from Phneomonia.

Please keep me posted and if I can be of any help, let me know :)

all the best,