Heart Disease Expert Forum
Mom's Aneurysm

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Mom's Aneurysm

My mother is 76 years old and is currently being treated for an Aortic Aneurysm at Mt. Sinai Hospital.  They just recently discovered that in addition to her Aneurysm she has Aortic Stenosis.  They are wanting to do a Catherization to determine the severity of the stenosis.  It appears that they are leaning more towards the traditional open heart surgery to repair both.  I have spoken to the doctor and he says that because she has both she is not a candidate for minimimal invasive surgery.  I am very concerned because the idea of them opening her chest has me besides myself.  My mom is a tiny little thing she is 4' 11" and weighs about 95lbs.  I just feel that would be too much for her.  I really need your help in finding out if there is a minimal invasive procedure to correct both and what hospitals do this procedure very often.  
Thank you.
Because both the aorta and the valve are affected this has to be done with regular open heart surgery.  We do this here at the Cleveland clinic very frequently and have an excellent success record.