Heart Disease Expert Forum
Mother's Heart Attack
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Mother's Heart Attack

My mother had a massive heart attack six months ago at the age of 45.  All I really know is that the main artery to her heart was completely clogged which caused 20% heart damage.  She had a balloon angioplasty and a stent put in to open the artery back up.  They weren't sure, however, if she would make it.  She always has been fairly petite but a smoker and under an extreme amount of stress.
  Luckily she survived, it is now six months later and I am very confused about what to think about her condition (I am the only one here for her so I feel it is important for me to be informed).  She is very young and active (quit smoking) but still under a lot of stress at work, and while she appears happy and energetic, I know she is tired all the time.  The doctor gave her a "clean bill of health" in August but I still worry.  She is on a number of medications, coumadin being one of them.  She also has always had low blood pressue.
  I would like to know what I need to watch for (for example, she hit her shin really hard on a desk this morning and it is now swollen and bruised and I lay here worrying if it could clot overnight). What questions should I be asking, when do I need to worry, will I every be able to relax under the assumption that she is at least OK "for now," etc.  I realize there are no guarantees, but is there any way to approximate how close to, or far away she is from the "danger zone?"
  I would really appreciate any advice you could provide since I am really in the dark here and the worrying is controlling my life.  Thanks so much.