Heart Disease Expert Forum
Multiple Arrhythmia's and Anxiety

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Multiple Arrhythmia's and Anxiety

Hello everyone,
I am a 27 year old female who suffers from Panic Disorder.  When I was about 22 years old, I held developed PVC's and PAC's.  I do not experience them frequently, but when I am going through my PVC phases they last about a week to a month with PVC's happening every hour or so.  I recently have noticed that I also get weird string of beats that makes me wonder if I have developed SVT's as well.  For example, last night I was laying in my bed, taking my pulse, and my heart would race three beats and then return to normal resting heart rhythm.  This past June I wore a 24 hour halter monitor which showed absolutely no arrhythmia's what so ever (figures), did an EKG, and an echo stress test.  They said I was completely normal and not to worry about it.  I just want to make sure that they did the extent of tests needed to make sure that my heart is healthy.  Due to my panic disorder it is hard to believe that there is nothing physically wrong with me, especially since my heart acts like a drummer from a rock band on occasion.
Is there anything I should be worried about, should I be asking for any further tests, or do you guys think these tests were absolutely thorough enough and I should get on with my life?
Sorry to hear you've been having some trouble.  It sounds as if you've had the appropriate testing, and some of your palpitation sensations may be due to your anxiety disorder and nothing to worry about.  However, if you truly get runs where your heart rate jumps up without warning and stays high, it might warrant further evaluation to rule out an arrhythmia.  Holter monitors are usually only 24-72 hours and can miss events if the happen only once or twice a week.  Ask your doctor about an event monitor which only records events when you feel them (you have to trigger the monitor to record).  I would recommend finding a cardiologist you trust and working closely with them to make sure your heart is in good condition, which it sounds like it is.  Best of luck!
Thank you so much, you have no idea how relieved I am :). Thanks Doc!