Heart Disease Expert Forum
Multiple PVC's

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Multiple PVC's

Could you please tell me if having PVC's for 5 minutes in length - beating
  irregularly and then pausing in between - are these safe and considered
  just normal PVC's?  They come usually in a string and last for these 5
  minutes and do not stop until I move.  I have heard that more than 10
  per minute is bad, but I probably have more than that because they are lasting
  so long.  Normal tests have been taken and found nothing wrong - except
  they weren't lasting this long at the time???
  Thanks for your advice.

Dear Troy,  thank you for your question.  I assume that "normal tests" refers to a normal stress test, a normal echo, and a Holter monitor.  If all these tests showed no structural heart disease, then your PVC's would be termed "benign."  Additionally, you should avoid alcohol, caffeine, tobacco, and stress because all these can precipitate PVC's.  Generally, it's thought that < 10 PVC's per minute is normal and does not indicate further testing is necessary.  Many patients with PVC's perceive they are having multiple PVC's in a row when in reality, they are not.  Thus, the only way to determine the frequency of your PVC's is for you to wear a portable Holter monitor that will continuously document your heart rhythm.  Without that information, I cannot comment on the frequency of your PVC's.  I hope this information helps.
Information provided in the heart forum is for general purposes only.  Only your physician can provide specific diagnoses and therapies.