Heart Disease Community
My 28 year old son's Triglycerides are 1200

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

My son is 28 yrs old, is 6 foot tall, weighs 170lbs and is very healthy except he has a Triglyceride level of 1200, HDL 27 and cholesterol level of 229.  We have the following conditions in our family:  Heart disease, diabetes, stroke and thyroid problems.....
Maternal grandfather died of heart disease, high cholesterol and high blood pressure
Paternal grandfather has diabetes
Maternal grandmother had strokes and thyroid removed when she was 37
Father has high cholesterol

How do you get triglyceride levels this high???
I too have very high triglycerides, my levels were slightly higher and I ended up have a problem with my pancraus (spelling)  Right after my last visit to the doctor, my levels were 650 tri,  I am 6 ft 190 and in pretty good shape, what are you doing to help with this?  I don't want to be an pills the rest of my life,
Is  your son acative, get pleant os excerise? and  sounds  like he might want to ck on what kind of  food he eats, he is most likely on his way to Hear siease, but  i am not a DR.  i do know excerise can bring it  doen, and i ahe in past use  nican. it can be bought over the counter, but ck with DR. first.
Pointman
My triglycerides used to be elevated, not that high, but over normal. I beleive it was close to 200. What lowered mine was taking fish oil liquid. The "Carlson" Fish oil is the best and it is the ONLY thing that lowers it. I take it twice a day, morning and night, a tablespoon, I would not be without it. My triglycerides are now 72.  A person should start noticing a difference in about 3 to 6 months.

Hope this helps.
Susie
B_loe

My triglycerides have been over 2000. I have a genetic disorder that is called hyperlipidemia and/or hypertriglyceridemia. Other than having these bad genes, smoking, drinking alcohol and lack of exercise and a heart healthy diet causes triglyceride levels to rise.

Triglyceride levels from 1000 to 1500 can cause pancreatitis, per my doctor. My grandmother died from this. I have managed to lower them mainly through stopping all alcohol, which at the time the 2000 tri's were measured, I did not drink any alcohol, and diet.

There is a very potent medicine in the drug class known as fenofibrates, named Tricor that was created to specifically reduce triglycerides. It works great, but carries the same warnings as statins. Also, Tricor should not be taken with statins but sometimes is in very extreme cases of total high cholesterol and triglycerides. My total cholesterol at the time was 486.

I feel the combination of medicines left me with permanent peripheral neuropathy (PN) in my extremities, especially in my legs and feet. I have to take a medicine, neurontin, for the PN.

Hope this helps,

Jack
I have been on fenofibrate (generic Tricor) for a few years. My triglycerides are 200 still, my LDL is high 180s I think. My HDL is 38 they like them in 40s. I recently went to the ER 3x in that many months with pain in my chest. I thought heart attack. Turns out I have gallstones. I did research Tricor can cause gallstones. It turns out they are made of cholesterol. My blood pressure med Nadolol (generic Corgard) raises Triglycerides and lowers good cholesterol! Ask for Lovaza it is omega 3. I take 2grams twice a day. Thats 2000mg twice a day. It raises HDL Happy cholesterol. It lowers LDL Lowsey cholesterol, and Triglycerides.
Jack, same here. My TG level is 1900 but with tricor my level now is about 500, which is still quite high. I am not sure what to do now as I cant bring it down further. I am taking statin for my high cholesterol also.And I am feeling fatigue always and weakness in my legs. I used to play football but now, I feel really tired when running. I hope someone can help recommending what to take to reduce my Tg and cholesterol further. I am only 37 yrs old and seems pathetic to having rely on these drugs.
Have you thought about supplementing with CoEnzyme Q10?  This enzyme is depleted by Statin drugs.  This Enzyme is a critical antioxidant that works in the mitochondria of our cells which promotes energy.  Helps to keep our cells happy.  Might be something you can look into.  The brand I take can be found here:  www.bvsynergy.com  It's called Heart Health Advanced Co-Q10 from Market America.  They also have  Heart Health Essential Omega III fish oil which comes from small cold water fish containing both EPA and DHA omegas.  This is another tool to fight high cholesterol levels.  You can't beat their quality.  Good Luck.  :)