My Experience with Sternum / Bypass Sugery
3x's must be the charm.  I had bypass x 4 in 3/07 and experienced a nagging cough for several weeks post op.  I was told that it was junk that was in my lungs and I needed to get rid of it.  After surgery my BP meds had been changed.  With a little research I discovered that one of the meds had a side effect of coughing.  I went back on my old med and the cough went away within 48 hrs. Little did I know that the damage had already occured.  3 wires were all that held my sternum together and 2 of them were broken.  Some time later, probably stressing I broke the last wire.  I went back 10/08 to have the wires replaced.  Surgeon had to cut surgery short and the wires were not replaced.  Instead I was left with a non-union sternum.  This is no fun to manage or be able to function without pain and discomfort.  I started doing some research and discovered that there is a device that can be implanted that will hold the sternum stable until it has grown back together.  It is called a Rapid Sternal Talon.  I have 4 of them installed 4/09 and they cured my problem.  I was freed from the pain and associated problems that a non-union sternum presents.  I am not a medical professional nor am I schooled for this trade.  I am a survivor who has had 3 surgerys for what should have been done in one!

This discussion is related to healing of sternum after bypass surgery.