Heart Disease Community
My Experience with Sternum / Bypass Sugery

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

3x's must be the charm.  I had bypass x 4 in 3/07 and experienced a nagging cough for several weeks post op.  I was told that it was junk that was in my lungs and I needed to get rid of it.  After surgery my BP meds had been changed.  With a little research I discovered that one of the meds had a side effect of coughing.  I went back on my old med and the cough went away within 48 hrs. Little did I know that the damage had already occured.  3 wires were all that held my sternum together and 2 of them were broken.  Some time later, probably stressing I broke the last wire.  I went back 10/08 to have the wires replaced.  Surgeon had to cut surgery short and the wires were not replaced.  Instead I was left with a non-union sternum.  This is no fun to manage or be able to function without pain and discomfort.  I started doing some research and discovered that there is a device that can be implanted that will hold the sternum stable until it has grown back together.  It is called a Rapid Sternal Talon.  I have 4 of them installed 4/09 and they cured my problem.  I was freed from the pain and associated problems that a non-union sternum presents.  I am not a medical professional nor am I schooled for this trade.  I am a survivor who has had 3 surgerys for what should have been done in one!

This discussion is related to healing of sternum after bypass surgery.