Heart Disease Expert Forum
My Triglycerides are 792

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

My Triglycerides are 792

I need help, my doctor told me today that my triglycerides are 792 and I my cholesterol is 389.  What can I do to reduce this fast.
I do not think you will be able to reduce it fast, nor is there a need to reduce these levels quickly. Only when the triglycerides are above 1000 does the risk of inflammation of the pancreas become an issue requiring immediate treatment. Elevated cholesterol (and probably triglycerides)does increase your risk of coronary artery disease, but usually after several years. The first step you need to take is to attempt to make meaningful changes in your diet. You need to switch to a low fat, low cholesterol diet. Assuming it is medically safe for you to do so, you need to start a program of regular aerobic exercise and attempt to reach your ideal body weight. You need to stop drinking alcohol (this will help the triglyceride levels). Given that your levels of both cholesterol and triglycerides are quite high, I suspect a large part of this is inherited, and it is likely you will need to be on at least one or two medications. You likely ought to be under the care of a lipid specialist; depending on your community, this might be a cardiologist or an endocrinologist.
My trglycerides were 800.  After 3 years of constantly changing medication because my liver just became resistant, my doctor recommended Dr Atkins diet. Very low carbs, more protein etc.  I tried low fat for years and no effect at all. My doctors triglycerides were 1200.
Since Atkins my triglycerides are now around 200 mark - still a little high but a vast improvement.  It varies on the foods that I eat. If I eat sparingly the day before a cholesterol test then triglycerides will be below normal.  HDL and LDL have improved dramatically too.  I know that there are doctors out there who hate the idea of Atkins diet but it worked for my doctor and myself.  If the low fat diet makes no difference, (it didn't to me) then I suggest you try Atkins for 2 weeks and then get checked again.
I thought red wine was meant to improve cholesterol?
Best wishes
K Roberts
Respected doctors such as Dean Ornish have proved beyond doubt that a low fat, low cholesterol, vegetarian diet can halt and even reverse coronary artery disease (not to mention beneficial effects on cancers). The Atkins diet I suspect will end up being one of many fad diets that come and go, despite its popularity right now. Alcohol intake unequivocally raises triglyceride levels and should be completely avoided by anyone trying to lower triglycerides. Small quantities of alcohol may have beneficial effects on cholesterol, but I would not recommend anyone start drinking for that purpose.
MY TRIGLYCERIDE READING IS 327. MY DOCTOR TOLD ME TO EAT A LOW FAT DIET AND TO DO 30 MIN. OF EXERCISE DAILY. MY QUESTION IS HOW MANY GRAMS OF FAT A DAY IS CONSIDERED NORMAL FOR LOWERING TRIGLYCERIDES.
i am a 33 year old women, i just gave birth to my third child three months ago. I had a blood test a couple of weeks ago and have since found out that my triglycerides are elevated, they are at 216.  Could this be because of my pregnancy?
May 26,2000
I went this week to have some family members
blood checked.
Fred, age 41, has a triglyceride level of 1016,
his total cholesterol is 281,
HDL is 38,
LDL is 106. He loves eating beets.
He eats about three per day.
I have heard this is not good.
Could this affect his triglyceride level?
His mother is 65, she has a total cholesterol level
of 265, a triglyceride level of 117,
HDL of 71, and LDL of 171. It seems she deals with
irritable bowel, she is very senative to eating
spicy foods, any suggestions to lower her cholesterol?
Her husband is 77 with a total cholesterol level
of 206.  A triglyceride level of 350,
HDL 34, LDL 80. Any suggestions?
Please e-mail to ***@**** or
***@**** THANK YOU!!!
May 26,2000

If vitamin E & Omega-3 lower cholesterol?

Since vitamin E & Omega-3 are oil soluble,

doesn't this oil effect the level of cholesteral?
I'm 32 and about 20 pounds overweight. My triglycerides have been in the 500-800 range for at least a year. Diet and excercise have had little effect. I've been on Lopid for a year, and now my doctor has added Lipitor. Has a combination of such drugs proven successful? I'm worried about long-term effects since I'm not very old. Thanks, James.
What is a normal triglyceride reading?
My husband is 43 had his physical his cholestorl was 363 his triglercerides were 672. 3 years ago when he had his pyhsical his levels were 280 and tri were 343 so these has double in 3 years he does'nt take these seriously although the dr started him on lipitor..He is 5 ft 11 weighs around 230 the weight is all in is stomach.. Do I have to wait for him to have a heart attack. I try to cook as much fat free and cholesterol free but if he wants something he will go get it. Like he will buy donuts he cant eat one by the end of the day they are gone and he the culprit.He is not active although he has been walking with me but I do not know what to do..Any suggestion would help me I do love him.   Cheryl Anderson  my email is ***@****
can cod liver oil caps help to lower triglycrides levels safely?
Are there symptoms that your triglycerides are high?
My triglycerides are l86 my dr said. I that a little high? What do I neeed to do?  MY blood sugar is l40% is that a little high too?    My e-mail address is ***@****
I have a question.  I was trying to find out what is the range for triglycerides.  What is the range suppose to be?
I have a question.  I want to know what is the range for triglycerides?  Can you help?
My hospital gives me a list with the results of the last 6 blood tests. So you can see how you improve. The acceptable levels are mentionned as well. I know in America other rates are handled, but the levels overhere in Holland are:

Total cholesterol: 4.00-6.40 mmol/l
Triglycerids     : 0.50-2.00 mmol/l
HDL-Chol         : 1.10-2.60 mmol/l
LDL-Chol         : < 3.37    mmol/l

Hope that this information is usefull to you !