Heart Disease Expert Forum
My heart is skipping a beat several times a day

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Approximately 2 months ago I started noticing my heart do a flip flop several times in a row (6 times in a minute).  This would happen once or twice a week.  After several weeks I began checking my pulse as it happened and noticed that during this flip flip feeling my heart was skipping 1 beat, It would happen about 6 times with approx 8 normal beats in between.  2 weeks ago it began to happen more often...2 to 3 episodes, similar to above, per day.  And the last few days it has happened 5 or 6 times a day.  Last week I made an appointment with my fathers cardiologist and my appointment is for Tuesday...5 days from today.  I am wondering if I can get any info before the visit and am also wondering if I should be waiting 5 more days before seeing a doctor.  I am a 29 year old male, 160 pounds, 6ft 3in.  I was diagnosed with prolapse mitro valve when I was 17 years old.

_
Dear Bryan,
You are likely experiencing what are called PVCs (premature ventricular contractions.)
You do need to see the cardiologist however to affirm if not fully assess the situation.
Only if you had symptoms of lightheadedness, dizziness, fainting, chest pain, or
shortness of breath with these episodes would I feel there to be any urgency in
your seeking care.  If such were the case, you would need to go to the emergency room
not call your doctor, thus the point is mute and yes it is
appropriate to wait 5 days to see the doctor as it sounds as if you have no such said
symptoms, only the fluttering sensation in your chest.  
I hope you find this information useful. Information provided in the heart forum is for general
purposes only. Only your physician can provide specific diagnoses and therapies. Please feel free to
write back with additional questions. Good luck.
If you would like to make an appointment at the Cleveland Clinic Heart Center, please call
1-800-CCF-CARE or inquire online by using the Heart Center website at
www.ccf.org/heartcenter. The Heart Center website contains a directory of the cardiology staff that
can be used to select the physician best suited to address your cardiac problem.