Heart Disease Expert Forum
My left atrium area measurement seems very large
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

My left atrium area measurement seems very large

I've just discovered that an echocardogram last year measured my left atrium area as 33cm with a little '2' next to it.

This sounds huge to me, and I'm wondering if anyone can give me more information or if there is a guide as to the degree of seriousness this means.

I wouldn't have thought there is even that much room inside me.

1687176_tn?1321401609
There are many different ways to measure the left atrium when a complete echocardiogram is performed.  This includes diameter (using M-mode) as well as volume - which is calculated in a variety of ways. Not all of them will agree as you are trying to measure using 2-dimensional imaging.  However, one of the most commonly accepted volumes is the "indexed volume" which is reported in ml/m2.  A mildly abnormal LA volume by the American Society of Echocardiogram is reported as 29-33 ml/m2 (moderately: 34-39, severely abnormal: 40 and above).
2 Comments
Blank
I would call the doctor that ordered the echo & confirm that measurement before I got worked up. Bet it's a typo error.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
CCFHeart MD25Blank
Blank
Request an Appointment
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity