Heart Disease Community
Myocarditis recurrance
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Myocarditis recurrance

Hi all. I had myocarditis in year 2000. I was under the care of a Cardiology Professor (UK) for 5 years with ongoing cardiac problems. Discharged in 2005. Developed arrythmia in 2009 (atrial tachycardia) & since had 2 ablations & a dual chamber pacemaker.

I was feeling great in January this year. Pacemaker went in last September & it took me 4 months to recover & get back to full fitness & full hours at work.

In February I was admitted into hospital with chest pain. CT coronary angiogram showed my arteries are fine. Since developed swollen ankles & legs, breathlessness both on exertion & at rest....& now palpitations as well. Been feeling totally exhausted as well.

Am back under the care of the same Cardiology Prof & he has diagnosed a recurrance of the myocarditis. I didn't realise you could get it more than once but he said you can. Having an echo scan next Monday (30th April).

Has anyone had myocarditis who can share their experience of it please?

Many thanks
Jane
2 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Understand your predicament and sympathize with you. Myocarditis is an inflammation of the myocardium, the middle layer of the heart wall. This can occur with both infectious and noninfectious causes. Infectious could be bacterial, viral or fungal. Non infectious could be due to certain medications or sometimes due to autoimmune disorders like lupus. So, recurrence can occur from the same or different pathology.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Blank
976897_tn?1379171202
I would ensure they do a lot of blood work in case your immune system is the culprit. Sometimes an infection has a protein covering very similar to a particular tissue type in the body, so our antibodies also attack this believing it to be the enemy. Myocardial muscle is unique, so if you have antibodies which are programmed to attack this protein type, then this problem will probably keep coming back. It's just a thought, maybe they've already considered this, but if not, I would ensure they run the right blood tests. It can be treated.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
MedHelp Health Answers
Recent Activity
Blank
ejoli commented on orphanedhawk's status
5 hrs ago
1236893_tn?1394988190
Blank
gymdandee Great Comment
15 hrs ago