Heart Disease Expert Forum
Mystery neck bruit

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Mystery neck bruit

This does not make sense.  My PCP found a loud bruit in my mid-lower neck about a month ago during a routine PE. She said it was very loud and was concerning. She immediately sent me for a doppler which she said was normal.  But when I received the report yesterday is says "bilateral mild carotid artery stenosis".  Both sides say that there is internal thickening <50%.  Right EDV 32, Left EDV 25. Not sure why she said it's normal.

About 3 weeks ago I had an echo which showed severe mitral regurgitation. The cardiolgoist immediately told me I needed repair surgery. The echo went from mild back in 2004-2007 to severe now.  Just last Friday he sent me for TEE which showed mild regurgitation. Now I don't need surgery.  

Today my PCP listened to the bruit again thinking it would be there loud and clear. she was shocked to find out that it is no longer there. She listened for a lengthy amount of time to tring to find it .....she even had another doctor come into the room, but definitely not there. She was baffled.  I'm going for a CTA of neck/head. What's going on???  Could this be something bad going like something embolic/aneurysm?  I am otherwise a healthy 40 year old woman, no high blood pressure, cholesterol, great weight, etc.   I am have been on such an emotional rollercoaster the last 5 weeks!!!  UUGH

I thank you so much for taking the time to read my post and to provide me some insight and information.

Kind Regards...
A loud murmur does not always imply severe stenosis:so when he first heard it he normally obtained a carotid ultrasound, but luckily the stenosis was not severe enough to warrant intervention. You should still be on a statin (cholesterol lowering medication) to prevent further progression and an aspirin daily.
A surface echocardiogram is not the best test to diagnose mitral regurgitation, but an invasive test like a TEE is not always practical. In your case the better test showed not severe disease and so you do not need surgery.
I am not sure why the murmur disappeared, maybe your blood pressure or pulse changed in some way as to make it inaudible; I don't know but you should probably ask the physician who examined you.