Heart Disease Expert Forum
Myxoma
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Myxoma

My grandmother died suddenly when my father was very young, so I requested her death certificate so I could see if it was hereditary.  Her cause of death was "Multiple embolic infarct of brain, kidney & spleen; myxoma of left auricle of heart."  She was 42 years old at her death and this was in 1955.  She was my paternal grandmother, my father was an only child (he's 61 with no health issues) and I am also an only child (age 33.)
Should I see a cardiologist to see if I may have inherited this?
Thank you.
Related Discussions
242508_tn?1287427246
Some types of myxomas tend to run in families. These hereditary myxomas usually develop in young men in their mid-20s. Myxomas that are not hereditary usually develop in women, typically between the ages of 40 and 60.  So since you are a woman in her 30's it would be less likely that you would have a hereditary myxoma.  also, since myxomas tend to develop in women in their 40's or so, your grandmother's myxoma was likely sporadic (not hereditary), meaning that the likelihood of there being a predisposition for myxomas in your family is very small.  You are also quite asymptomatic.  As you may know patients with myxomas tend to develop exertional dyspnea and cough.  Stroke is really the final presentation in most cases.  I would therefore advise you not to seek any care at this point.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
Blank
Request an Appointment
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank