Heart Disease Expert Forum
Myxomatous Changes

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Myxomatous Changes

I have a question with an echo finding of myxomatous degeneration of a valve. I understand it is changes in the tissue appearance.My echo has shown bileaflet mitral valve prolapse of a moderate degree with mild to mod.MR and mild TR. Is myxomatous changes a common finding in the general population or only common in the elderly?
If there is a finding in cardiac tissue, could that mean there might be findings of connective tissue elsewhere in the body?

I am looking for answers to why I have orthostatic intolerance. My cardio. feels I may have autonomic neuropathy, but I need to know why. I do not want any unnecessary tests,but would like a solution.

Thank you for any information you may have.
Dear NBCT,

Myxomatous changes of your mitral valve means that the valve leaflets contain  extra connective tissue. This extra tissue causes the leaflets to abnormally extend into the top chamber(left atrium) of the heart. These findings can lead to worsening of regurgitation across the valve. Approximately 3-5% of the population has mitral valve prolapse, which makes it quite common. Your doctor should follow this condition with routine echocardiograms and questions regarding symptoms.

Mitral valve prolapse is probably not related to the orthostatic intolerane you have been experiencing. Your doctor's diagnosis may be correct. Hope this helps.

Thanks for your question,

CCF-MD-KE
Hi NBCT,
I had a similar question Aug. 14.
Anyway, is myxomatous a common finding in the elderly?  I am not elderly (46 w/ myxomatous mitral valve), just curious.  My mother had MVR after they found she was in CHF and it gave her 10 more yrs.  She lived in CHF those 10 yrs., but to varying degrees.  We were all glad for those 10 yrs.  I wonder if she had myxomatous and if it is hereditary.
Also, I have an autonomic problem, neurocardiogenic syncope.  I have inappropriate sinus tachycardia which some say is an auto. problem and others say it is something wrong with sinus node.  I imagine they found that it was a sinus node problem since I am now hearing about sinus node modification.  A dr. who was on this forum earlier suggested that I look into it.
I wondered too, if the myxomatous chgs. would suggest, maybe, a connective tissue disorder.  In researching myxomatous chgs. I have come across varying opinions or seemingly so, of it's seriousness.  It could be a reflection of how everybody is effected differently.
Here is a site/forum for autonomic problems:

http://216.149.163.247/cgi-bin/forumdisplay.cgi?action=topics&forum=NDRF+General+Discussion&number=1&DaysPrune=20&LastLogin=

'Hope you get some answers (and me, too LOL).

BTW, I, also, am told I had a stroke, but they really don't know why.  You won't find many say that MVP can cause it, but the hematologist suggested it could've played a role in it. The hemo didn't want to say the Factor 5 Leiden did, either, but admitted it happens "rarely".  
Well, I've said alot of nothing,so...

Good luck!
Hi Jan,

The only information I have come across regarding myxomatous changes is that it is usually found in the elderly, probably as a part of the normal aging process I guess. My concern was the onset of the changes in the valve tissue and a possible hereditary link. I am 40 years old and found out two years ago about the mvp after developing palpitations, dizzy spells and feeling faint. The usual workup was done and monitors showed many pac's(which I know can be precursors to developing a-fib), Pvc's and SVT. I also had a tilt table test which showed a sudden increase in heart rate and an abnormal jump in blood pressure,for which the MD said may or may not be related to the mvp. I have learned to deal with the way I feel and take a beta-blocker daily, but I too would like more information about the whole thing. I have two children to wonder about,four siblings(all have been told they have a murmur), and in the back of my mind an article on a "very healthy, strong, 18 year old football star" from a town near me, who dropped dead during practice and the autopsy showed "myxomatous changes that effected his heart valve" which no one knew he had.
Well, Good Luck to you and maybe we will soon find answers.
Take Care.