Heart Disease Community
Nagging cough after bypass surgery

A community of people with Heart Disease to guide and support your heart-health journey. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: symptoms, nutrition, and management.

Nagging cough after bypass surgery

One month ago I underwent minimally invasive heart bypass surgery for the left main artery of my heart. I was out
of the hospital in 3 days and 4 weeks later I am able to walk for 2 hours per day. I started to develop a cough after the
surgery which produced minimum plegm from my lungs but which has become more troublesome and consistent. I have problems maintaining a conversation without coughing. I was told to expect the cough to last awhile after surgery. is this normal ? how long canit linger ? I also have more soreness or pain in the center of my chest than at
any time following my release from the hospital. Is this to be expected ? Is the amount of excercise to blame or should I expect this to happen ?
The coughing is normal, so is the soreness in the center of your chest.  My mother had the dry coughing and soreness for about a year after her first bypasses and also after her second bypasses.  Irritating, YES, but not life threatening.

Recovery time differs from one person to another.

Keep exercising.  This could cause more soreness, so if it's too bothersome, ease up a bit for a while, but don't stop completely.
My mother had bypass heart surgery 11 years ago. She is 86 Years of age. She continues to have a cough. Anytime she eats or drinks water or any drink she starts to cough and sometimes seems to choke and cannot get her breath. What can she do to correct this. This concerns me deeply and I do not know what to do for her.

Thanks,
Dennis W. Hames
***@****