Heart Disease Expert Forum
Nausea/Vomiting-Angina?

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Nausea/Vomiting-Angina?

Hello all. Just a question. 26 year old female. On Saturday afternoon about an hour and a half after eating a chicken salad (which was leftovers from the night before) I had an episode of nausea, and I did vomit. I felt better after. Had some friends over that evening, ordered food. I had a turkey hoagie on wheat, no dressing, kept it simple just in case. Within an hour after eating that, I got nausea again, and vomiting. Took Pepto Bismol, threw it back up. Started to feel very warm, friends said my face was flushed, checked temperature and was 100.1, not extremely high but a slight fever nonetheless. Went to the ER to get checked out. Gave me some fluids, nausea medication, and did some bloodwork. The bloodwork was all good, except a slightly elevated white blood cell of 11.8, which I know can indicate an infection somewhere. They didn't do any scans. Doctor said he believed this was a bug of some sort and to follow up with my doctor. Which I have an appt tomorrow with him. Since being in the ER, I have felt fine with no further episodes. However, I know when having a heart attack, women can have nausea/vomiting/sweating etc, which of course worried me. I did have an EKG in the ER, and he said it was fine. They didnt do cardiac enzymes. The only reason I even THOUGHT about cardiac was because of issues I have been having for awhile, which have been checked out by my doc. Some upper shoulder blade pain, random left arm pains, which my DOC said was from trigger points he felt in my back. Anyways, am hoping this was just a bug, and not cardiac related, because I did have an elevated white blood cell count and a slight temp....wasn't sure if this could still indicate it was actually caused by a heart condition and not a bug. The ER doc didnt even want to do an EKG, but I asked him to so I could have a piece of mind. Thanks for your input.
Your symptoms of nausea and vomiting were most likely due to a gastrointestinal insult like originally suspected.  It is true that N/V can be an associated symptom of cardiac ischemia, but would rarely be the presenting symptom for an individual of your age. Additionally, these symptoms are not usually separated by space and time from chest/arm pain.  It is likely that you have 2 separate issues going on here and would not be too concerned that there is a cardiac issue at this time, especialy since you had a normal EKG.
Thanks for responding. What would usually be the presenting symptom for someone my age? I just have read so much information on angina and such-and how women a lot of times present atypically and such and such may be the only symptom...so that worried me. Also, you said these symptoms are not usually separated by space and time from chest/arm pain. Do you mean that if it was related to cardiac ( the N/V, arm pains, shoulder blade pains) that they would probably have occurred together? The shoulder blade pains and arm pains have been going on for about a month and a half on and off, there will be days without, then I will have a day of random arm pains, usually don't last long, but come on and off throughout the day. I just want to relax and accept these pains are from trigger points as my doctor said, it just seemed unlikely to me.
I just keep reading that EKG's are basically worthless, unless you are having an episode when they do it. I was not nauseated or vomiting when they did the EKG, I had already had nausea medication and felt better by the time they did the EKG, because the dr didn't want to do one because he didnt think cardiac at all, it was after when he came in to tell me my bloodwork was okay, that I asked to please do an EKG for my piece of mind.

Additional information: I have had two other EKG's within the past month and a half, and they were normal too. One was a day after an anxiety attack. One was when I started experiencing the left arm discomforts, which were fleeting at the time.
This is the same person who posted the nausea/vomiting question....I made the other name due to changing my password and i didn't write it down and forgot what it was, so I had to make another account. Sorry for any confusion.