Heart Disease Expert Forum
Nausea causing arrythmia??

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Nausea causing arrythmia??

I would appreciate your comments.

I am 35 and actually in good condition except for a few years ago I was hospitalized for Atrial Fib.

I have been on Verelan 240 for about 3 years and have had no symptoms except when I try to go off my meds the symptoms come back!

More recently -  My problem has been with acid reflux I have been on a proton pump inhibitor(aciphex and then prevacid) My symptoms seem to be coming back! I wake up in the middle of the night with nausea and a rapid heart beat of 130 to 140 BPM!(my BP becomes elevated about 148\88,  My BP usually is 120\70 or lower.

1)  Could this be a side effect of the new medication?

2)  Or could feeling of nausea and acid reflux be the cause (by affecting or irritating the vagal nerve??

I have had a nuclear stress test I seem to be in good shape!

Thank you for your comments.

Paul
1. I would not expect the proton pump inhibitors to cause nausea, but it is possible. It is also possible that the acid reflux is pretty bad and is causing the nausea. If this is the case, you may need an evaluation by a gastroenterologist for a possible endoscopy.
2. It is possible that the arrhythmia is causing the nausea, the severe nausea can trigger arrhythmias. Wearing a Holter monitor at night would help settle the issue.
Thank you for responding!

I did have an endo,  it did show that I have GERD.

I do notice that my symptoms of racing beats are worse at nite if I eat a fatty meal or something that I shouldn't

paul