Neck Pain after a heart attack
My father-in-law is 81 years old.  He had his first heart attack in 1996.  He had open heart surgery and had 5 blockages.  After the attack, he suffered severe pain in his neck for 2 to 3 years. A few weeks ago he had another very severe heart attack.  He was in the hospital when it happened waiting for a heart catherization which was to be done on Monday.  His heart attack happened on Saturday morning.  Except for being in the hospital, he would have died.  Even with that, they only gave him a 20% chance of making it.  He beat the odds but is not doing well.  The severe neck pain has returned.  It started immediately after the heart attack. He is also very fatigued and weak with bouts of dizziness and has fallen a couple of times.   Is it possible the severe neck pain was caused by the heart attack and if so, can it be treated?
Have they checked his carotid arteries in the neck, to make sure there is no disease build up?
Yes..there are no blockages.
It could be referred pain as a result of the previous operation.  Referred pain can occur when the same nerves supplying areas of the chest wall also supply the tissues around the lungs, the diaphragm or the lining of the abdomen.

The neck pain can be an issue concomitant with current heart related problems or an association.  If there is a problem with blood flow to the heart, it is not unusual to have neck pain with other related symptoms.  

Has your father's doctor commented on the neck pain?  It seems if there has been neck pain subsequent to the operation 3 or so years ago, the could have been a diagnosis.

I am a 62 year old female that has CAD and PAD.  I have undergone several stent procedures since April 2010 after presenting with a BP of 60/30.  I am also diabetic and my father died of diabetes and heart failure at age 46.  The initial subclavian stents came up 80/90% blocked in 2012.  Since then I have had additional stenting in the LCM of the heart, the branch and right and left legs.  My doctors cleared the left blockage with no problem, but when they went in to do the right, they broke five baloons attempting to get in and realized that there were two stents side by side and one had partial jumped the other.  What causes this?  Is there any treatment for it?  They aren't sure what they will be doing at this time.  I have a background in EKG and Respiratory therapy and understand a little of how the heart works.  Thank you for your help.