Need Help for My Mom
Hi I need someones advice on this.My mother had a major heart attack 2 years ago which left her with some heart muscle damage.She also had 2 stints put in.Since then she has never taken her meds or done anything to help her heart.She just went to her regular doc. and he had an echocardiogram done.It shows her heart is working at 30 % and he suggested she see a cardiologist to have a defribulator put in.He also made the comment that he was surprised she could walk across the street and that she doesn't have more serious health issues.She went to the cardiologist today and my mom says that this doc. is telling her to have a stress done tomorrow and that she can come back to see her at Christmas.She doesn't want to put a defribulator in because it may not work for her.If her heart is 30% pumping isn't she a good candidate for a defribulator?I can not figure out if the doc. is an idiot or if my mom is lying about the doc.really said to her.Please help with any advice.Thank you
Your mothers regular doctor is not a cardiologist and there is often a difference of opinion. I would go with what the cardiologist says because they have far more experience when it comes to the heart.
And, you can phone the cardiologist, explaining you are the daughter, and hear it from the horses mouth as they say. If you just say your mother tends to forget things or give some excuse, they will tell you the plan over the phone.
My Mom has had a lot of health problems over the years, too, and has often ignored her doctors' advice. She tends to either minimize, ignore, or deny symptoms or problems she is having--so I feel for you and your situation with your mother.

Is it possible for you to go with her to her appointments? If not, then maybe you can call and tell the doctor or nurse what you have seen. Because of privacy laws, they may not be willing to give you information without your Mom's written OK, but they should be able to at least listen to your concerns.

Your Mom might be more open to having you come with her to appointments if you tell her you're concerned and just want to make sure you understand what's going on. Plus, it helps to have another person there to listen and help by taking notes of what the doctors and nurses are saying. Good luck!
An implantable cardioverter defibrillator is used in patients at risk for recurrent, sustained ventricular tachycardia or fibrillation.  Unless there is information missing from your post, it doesn't appear that your mother has a need for a defibrillator. Defibrillation is the definitive treatment for the life-threatening cardiac arrhythmias, ventricular fibrillation and pulseless ventricular tachycardia. Defibrillation consists of delivering a therapeutic dose of electrical energy to the affected heart with a device called a defibrillator.

However, an EF below 29% is considered medically to be heart failure mode and depending on your system's compensatory ability and general health there may not be any symptoms.  Other people may have symptoms, but there should be no surprise if one can perform their regular activities without symptoms with an EF at 30%..  Five years ago I had a 13 to 29% EF, and didn't know I had heart failure, but lungs became congested so I drove (walked normally)  to ER and surprised that tests showed  I had had a heart attack sometime in the past!  Currently, my EF is now normal 55%.

The cardiologist doesn't appear to be very concerned about your mother's echocardiogram indicating there isn't any medical crisis.  An echo should have given some information regarding any heart wall impairment that would reduce heart contractions and a lower EF.  The stress test will help determine if there is any ischemia (lack of blood flow) due to occluded vessels causing the low EF.

It is unusual to request a stress test and much later review results when not knowing precisely if there is or is not any problem.  You can request a copy of the echo report, and there should be a report on record within a week or two.

.