Heart Disease Expert Forum
Need some help

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Need some help

My PVCs feel like they are out of control.  I tend to get a lot of bigeminy beats after my heart rate slightly increases, and when I bend over or slouch.  I am an almost 35 yo female who has seen 2 cardiologists, 1 EP, and a few ER docs.  I have had a 24 hr holter, a stress test, an echo, a 30 day event monitor, an X-ray, blood work, and multiple listens of my heart.  Ive been told that my heart is fine, and that these crazy beats aren't dangerous...even during and after exercise.  I went to the ER 6 months ago b/c I was in bigeminy, and after the usual array of tests, sent me home. I am now pregnant again, and feel like the extra and multiple beats are back with a vengeance.  I'm very scared, and am concerned that something has been missed along the way.  I feel like the only relief I feel is when I am sitting still.  The palps return when I move around.  Does anyone else experience this?  Can anyone give me any advice?  Thank you in advance!
Premature ventricular contractions (PVC's) as you are describing can be very symptomatic for some patients while other people may not feel them at all.  The frequency of their occurrence in relation to the normal sinus rhythm beats in your heart leads to the names bigeminy (every other beat a PVC) vs. trigeminy (every third beat a PVC).  

The mainstay of treatment for this condition when patients are severely symptomatic is medical therapy (beta blockers, calcium channel blockers) while maintaining adequate electrolyte balance (Potassium and Magnesium levels).  

Some patients are able to identify particular triggers (food, caffeine, nicotine, anxiety, etc.) that tend to make their frequency or symptoms of PVC's worse.  I would suggest keeping a symptom diary of when you feel the PVC's the most and try to identify any particular triggers.  That would allow for some conscious biofeedback and avoidance of things that make them worse.  

If at the end of the day you have tried all of these medical and non-medical therapies and the PVC's continue to impact your quality of life then I would suggest speaking with your electrophysiologist regarding other therapies.
I should also mention thst I do get PVCs while at rest, sometimes every 7-10 beats, and that I have dealing with them for about three or four years..sometimes worse than others.  They make me very anxious!
I have had PVC'S for many years. They feed off of anxiety because of the extra adrenaline you put out when your anxious.  I get them in bigeminy, couplets & 12 times a minute all the time. My EP assured me that they were not dangerous no matter how many I had or when I had them. I try to remind myself this when they get my attention.  The best thing I can tell you is to try your best to ignore them. Get your mind busy on something else & stop thinking about them & they will ease up. After several months of refusing to let it rule me, I'm having alot less. I still had a ton of them the other day when I went in for a dx mammogram. It felt like a racquet ball firing off in my chest, but after I left there it was better. I also take verapamil & magnesium taurate.