Neurally Mediated Hypotension. No one understands.
Hi.

I actually posted this question in response to another post, but thought I would start a new one.

I was diagnosed with Neurally Mediated Hypotension about 6 years ago (I am now 25), after years of symptoms. I was put on Toporol xl (sp?) because my job, at the time, required standing in one spot.. which made me pass out. Once I quit that job, I stopped taking the medication and just avoided triggers (standing too long, heat, etc).
My NMH is now so bad that I get sick just from sitting upright, sometimes I feel like I'm going to pass out even while laying down, my heart is always pounding, I'm always lightheaded (sometimes my vision turns white when I'm walking), I'm constantly incredibly fatigued no matter how much I sleep, I have numbness when it gets bad enough, etc.. Basically, I feel awful almost all the time.
The reason I'm here is because I've actually been feeling very depressed lately. No one seems to believe what is going on with me or understand how bad I feel. I get the feeling that everyone close to me is sick of how "lazy" I am and think I'm making excuses, when really I am feeling so terrible. Has anyone else felt this way? I just don't know what to do or how to make anyone understand. I am already so frustrated at feeling this way, but for people to think I'm lazy or making it up just makes me feel so bad. Any suggestions?
Thank you.
Have you saeen a doctor about all of this and have you started taking your medicine again? Sometimes (and I'm not saying this is you) when people complain how lousy they feel and don't do anything to correct the problem, people don't want to hear about how they feel. See you doctor.
I agree with grendslori's response. I also want to comment that the art of medicine is just that. At best we can only rely on the science and technology of medicine. In the age of such great breakthroughs and wonderful knowledge about the human body and what things help, medications ( short and long term), surgery, managing our own personal health problems and understanding what our body is trying to tell us still leaves many of us without an answer or a label. My suggestion to you is to return to a trusted doctor, keep a journal of your symptoms and start fresh until you are able to better manage your health; it may be the best result you get. People around me could easily call me lazy as looking at me they cannot see my health problem. But I know how I feel and what happens. You'll feel vindicated once you are confident in managing your situation. Best wishes. Joan.