Heart Disease Expert Forum
Neurally mediated PSVT's, now PVC's

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Neurally mediated PSVT's, now PVC's

I went to a University City Hospital for a second opinion.  I had been diagnosed with PSVT's.  The cardiologist there recommended ablation.  My attacks were quite severe, actually loosing my voice, profound weakness (had to crawl out of car)etc.  The last attack required the advance life support to use adensoine to stop the attack.  My local cardiologist recommended nothing, this University Doc recommended ablation.  Actually, my neurologist has recommended I get another opinion because these type of episodes could be treated with beta blockers.  My neuologist was quite surprized that the cardiologist recommended ablation.

Now I have developed double PVC's.  My local cardiologist has  not recommended any treatment. Should I be receiving beta blockers?

I have spoken to my neurologist and he said that ablation will not work for neurally mediated PSVT. He also said I do need to be watched and under the care of a cardiologist.  

My basic question is, I know that they sometimes treat with beta blockers or if need be, ace inhibitors and sometimes calcium Channel blockers.  Do these drugs work with neurally mediated heart problems or are the drugs just palliative?  How common is this type of thing and are there really any treatments available.

My next question has to do with the calcium channel blockers.  I have read on the internet that calcium channel blockers should not be given to anyone with Central Nervous System problems as they can increase intracranial pressure, therefore contraindicated. Is this true? At one point my local cardiologist gave them to me because my heart rate was going off the wall and the event moniter recorded rates of over 100 beats a minute.  I tried taking them but it made my heart flip flop, so I didn't continue. When he gave them to me, he gave them to me as a 12 month perscription with no follow up visits scheduled.  I never did get to tell him what happened.  

I have had Persanthium Thallium Stress test which showed two areas of non perfusion/ ischemia.  After the test, the cardiologist said I had no heart problems and that my arteries were 100% clear. The only abnormality that showed was my aortic pressure was only 96%, which I understand is not normal.  I did not receive an explaination for this low aortic pressure.

At this point I am quite confused. I only know that ablation doesn't work for neural stuff and that's not the way to go.   Should I be on any drugs?  Will any of these drugs work with Central Nervous System problems?  I really don't want to take any drugs, especially if they don't work for neural stuff.  On the other side of the coin, I don't want to have a heart attack because I'm not on any treatment.  I don't want to have a arrthymia because I'm not taking what is available. Is there treatment for me??????????

Sorry this is so poorly organized.....

I think the bottom line here is if you are happy taking the beta-blockers and they are controlling your symptoms I would keep taking them.  Calcium channel blockers can be used in people with CNS problems and this is a alternative for you.
Thank you for your answer.  

My real question was "will beta blockers or any other type of med" help neurally mediated heart problems.  Have there been any studies done that show that these types of meds are effective treatment and will prevent arrhythmias, PSVT's or PVC's.

Yes, they will help regardless of where the arrhythmias are coming from.  They work in the heart where the rhythms are taking place.