New to Premature Vascular Contractions
I started getting heart palpitations last year when I was pregnant and disregarded it because of pregnancy. Now that I am getting them more frequently and after the fact, I went to the doctor who had me where a heart monitor for 48 hours. I had also had an EKG a couple years ago for chest pain and it reflected normal. The recent heart monitor showed I have Premature Vascular Contractions. The doctor put me on metoprolol. I don't have high cholesterol or BP. However, I am 40 lbs overweight with diabetes at age 36.

Ever since I was diagnosed I am worried sick about dying young especially when being alone with my 6 month old son. I thought I would feel better when I asked follow up questions about PVCs to my dr, but the only thing she has told me is she suspects it's from anxiety not heart disease. I don't understand why they would start now and not earlier in my life if that is the cause. I'm wondering if I should ask to see a cardiologist and ask for an ultrasound for the heart or if I should be satisfied with the tests and answers I received. The reason I may need extra testing is to may see if there is any other underlying cause. Of course searching online has caused me to worry more and I found something called a mitral valve prolapse that could be cause of PVCs that also has migraines as a symptom. I have had very frequent migraines for 10+ years. All this makes me more worried if I can carry on a full time job that is stressful enough and take care of my son. Should I get more tests or see a specialist?
Migraines are also a symptom of pvc's without a mitral valve prolapse.

We often dont know why these things start, but given that you were put on betablockers likely the burden of pvcs was fairly low. While its true beta blockers work on blood pressure they also block stimulation to your heart from the nervous system and lower your heart rate.. This usually helps reduce the amount of pvcs through some sort of complex mechanisms.

Ultrasounds of the heart are usually a part of the normal workup for pvcs so its a bit odd that one was never ordered to begin with. Most of the time they dont show anything unless the burden of pvcs is very high or has been going on a very long time...

Still they're just nice to have done, even as a routine kind of thing.

Everyone gets pvcs from time to time.. If youve ever been scared or startled really bad and felt your heart skip a beat.. That was probably a pvc.

Having pvcs and being primarily worried about mitral valve prolapse is sort of like waking up with a cough and being worried about lung cancer or ebola.. Its possible, but mot exactly the most common cause.

Sudden death isnt a common concern with pvc's so i wouldnt get overly worried about that kind of thing.