Non-cardiac related causes of fatigue & shortness of breath associated with vigorous exercise
Non-cardiac related causes of shortness of breath and extreme fatigue during and after vigorous exercise such as hiking and biking up steep hills.
If the heart is in perfect condition then the next thing to investigate are the lungs. Perhaps a lung function test should be given to test capacity and absorption/exchange of gases. If the lungs are not adequately absorbing oxygen into the bloodstream, your muscles will suffer fatigue. I remember reading somewhere that with each breath you take, the heart uses 80% of the available oxygen from each breath which only leaves 20% for the rest of the body. If the lungs are impaired then this will be less.
Thank you!  That's the best explanation I have received for my fatigue and shortness of breath during and after vigorous exercise.  In fact my PCP has referred me to a pulmonary physician, so that may finally give me some answers, and I hope some treatment options.