If the heart is in perfect condition then the next thing to investigate are the lungs. Perhaps a lung function test should be given to test capacity and absorption/exchange of gases. If the lungs are not adequately absorbing oxygen into the bloodstream, your muscles will suffer fatigue. I remember reading somewhere that with each breath you take, the heart uses 80% of the available oxygen from each breath which only leaves 20% for the rest of the body. If the lungs are impaired then this will be less.
Thank you! That's the best explanation I have received for my fatigue and shortness of breath during and after vigorous exercise. In fact my PCP has referred me to a pulmonary physician, so that may finally give me some answers, and I hope some treatment options.
Copyright 1994-2016 MedHelp International. All rights reserved.
MedHelp is a division of Aptus Health.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information.
The Content on this Site is presented in a summary fashion, and is intended to be used for educational and entertainment purposes only. It is not intended to be and should not be interpreted as medical advice or a diagnosis of any health or fitness problem, condition or disease; or a recommendation for a specific test, doctor, care provider, procedure, treatment plan, product, or course of action. Med Help International, Inc. is not a medical or healthcare provider and your use of this Site does not create a doctor / patient relationship. We disclaim all responsibility for the professional qualifications and licensing of, and services provided by, any physician or other health providers posting on or otherwise referred to on this Site and/or any Third Party Site. Never disregard the medical advice of your physician or health professional, or delay in seeking such advice, because of something you read on this Site. We offer this Site AS IS and without any warranties. By using this Site you agree to the following Terms and Conditions. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your physician or 911 immediately.