Heart Disease Expert Forum
Normal Echocardiogram?

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Normal Echocardiogram?

A friend of mine died suddenly and unexpectantly last week from what appeared to be a massive heart attack. She was 42. I did find out that she had aortic valve surgery-mechanical type in just 4 months before her death. She had it performed because she suffered from extreme tiredness. However, her situation is not what I am asking about!

I started looking at my echo from 7 years ago and this is what is said.

This is technically adequate study.

1. Normal LV internal dimensions and normal left ventricular region wall motion and systolic function EF 55%
2. Normal appearing aortic valve with normal aortic root dimensions. There is an INTERMITTENT TRACE OF AI seen on color flow Doppler.(I'm assuming aortic insuffiency??)
3. The mitral valve is grossly normal appearing. There is no significant mitral prolapse noted. Left atrial dimensions are normal in size at 3.3 cm in the peristernal long axis views.
4. There is a TRACE OF MR seen on color flow Doppler.
5. The mitral valve E to A lead ratio is greater than 1.
6. The right atrial and right ventricular dimensions are normal in size. There is a TRACE OF TRICUSPID INSUFFIENCY noted on color flow Doppler.
7. There is no significant pericardial effusion seen.

The things in all caps are what I am concerned about even though the cardiologist wrote 'normal' on my report.

1. The MAIN thing I'm worried about is the Aortic insuffiency...but it does say intermittent and just a trace, but still?
2. The other 2 things are the trace of Tricuspid insuffiency ? and the trace Mitral Regurgitation ?

I feel fine, have plenty of energy. I do have occasional pvc's but am not real concerned about those. I am about 40 lbs overweight but have recently joined a gym, but would certainly love some input on this echo report.
Thanks you for your time.
Toni777
It is normal to have trace reguritation from the valves that you mention above. It just means there is very minimal leak of those valves. This is normal and you should not be concerned about this. It looks like your heart function is good. I hope this helps.

Thank you for your response. I guess I worry more about the aortic valve, but I guess it seems that this is common in alot of other normal people as well?
Thank you,
Toni777
Leakage of the Aortic Valve is not considered a normal finding even in mild cases from my understanding, but the 3 other valves, Mitral, Tricuspid, and Pulmonary valves trace to mild regurgitation is considered a normal finding. Though the intermittent AI might be a normal finding in you and might not progress, if I were you being its been 7 years since the echo , I would suggest another one just to make sure nothing has changed though I doubt it has!