Heart Disease Expert Forum
Normal Variations in HR/BP?

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Normal Variations in HR/BP?
I'm interested in finding out the normal variations in blood
pressure and heart rate over the course of a day.  In particular
what would be acceptable blood pressure ranges and heart rates
(normalised if necessary) during situations such as driving to
work, stressful meetings, normal working, walking, sports, resting, eating and so on ... I'm trying to build up a picture of my responses over the course of a typical day and would like to have some norms to compare this against.  It seems that both my heart rate and BP are highly variable and I'd like to compare this to typical values.  Perhaps there is some work published on this topic which you could let me know about??

Dear mk,

You are correct that there is a wide variation in BP and HR during the course of teh day.  However, if the systolic blood pressure is greater than 135-140 or the diastolic blood pressure is greater than 85-90 during any point in the day high blood pressure is present.  The range for systolic blood pressure is from 90 to 250 and for diastolic pressure 0 to 150.  Resting heart rate ranges from 20 to 120 with the majority of people between 60 and 100.