Heart Disease Expert Forum
Normal ranges for resting heartrate in 5 year old female

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

My daughter who is 5, has a sleeping heartrate of 100-110, with an awake resting rate of approximately 115. Her pediatrician claims these numbers are a little high, and thinks she should do a 24 hour holter monitor, and I am wondering what the normal ranges for a five hear old are? Her 6 year old sister has a sleeping rate of anywhere between 90-104. Thanks in advance!
Dear mom,

Resting heart rates in adults range from 60 to 100 and in newborns from 90 to 130.  Children fall between these two ends progressing towards the adult rate as they grow older.  I would agree that 115 is a bit on the high side for a 5 year old but still may be the upper end of normal.
Dear Mom,

I think your child is fine and I would not be too concerned with the HR. What is the height and weight on your child? Are they not normally very active? It is known in medicine to figure the "maximium" HR in a individual take 220 minus the age. In your childs case it is 215. It may not seem like your childs rate is far away from that but your child would have to do some heavy activity to get this rate. Wait it out. A ECG would be sufficient instead of a holter just to show that your child is in sinus tachycardia.

Hope I have been helpful.