Heart Disease Community
Nuclear stress test vs. angiogram

A community of people with Heart Disease to guide and support your heart-health journey. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: symptoms, nutrition, and management.

Nuclear stress test vs. angiogram

since jan 06 i've had 4 heart attacks (life flighted out on last one) 5 stents and a triple bypass. all my stents have recurring blockage (as much as 60%) and my RCA bypass graft has 100% blockage so i'm relying on my native RCA which has 60% blockage as shown by my last angio in july 07. I have been experiencing the same pains as with my other attacks plus some extras and my BP has been consistantly rising (last BP was 148/100) so i called my cardiologist and he scheduled a nuclear stress test but not an angio like all the previous times. I assumed that he would do another angio simply for comparison reasons and because i have had doctors schedule a stress test on 2 other occasions and my cardiologist changed it to an angio. I am on Imdur and my pains go away when i take nitro-quick.
Will a nuclear stress test show coronary blockages better than an angiogram?

Thank you very much for any help you can offer, it will be greatly appreciated.
Avatar n tn
The nuclear stress test does not image your coronary arteries.  It does give an indication of the blood supply to your heart.  It is a good indicator of potential blockages.  An angiogram will accurately provide that information.  Another option for a noninvasive procedure is a 64 slice CT scan. It will image your coronary arteries and it is an excellent diagnostic tool.  Again, the gold standard is an angiogram.  Keep in mind if problems are found either with the nuclear stress test or CT scan, they are going to do an angiogram/angioplasty anyway.  
Avatar n tn
Thank you for your help. That is exactly what I figured but wanted some input from others such as you. I believe that as is so common a test was ordered prior to the cardiologist reviewing my past medical history. Thank you very much for your time.
Hi, this is just for the record and does not reflect every coronary CT.
I had a coronary CT in 2011 wich showed mild segmental disease and I was told not to worry, diet and BP control. Not do long ago had heart attack, rush angio, 100% blocked LAD. I asked could it have got in that state over 18 months and was told *very highly unlikely*
So Angio is definitely gold standard
I also had NST in 2009 and was told it was normal. I had a number of ECGs over the previous years and were all classed as normal. When I asked about all these testes being normal, I was told, it happens and angio is gold standard
Good luck
James