Heart Disease Expert Forum
Numbness in hand and arm

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Numbness in hand and arm
I am a 39 year old male.  I am 5
arsegja,

Anything is certainly possible and the cause of your symptoms.

1) Given the chronicity of your symptoms and the overall course, they are not really consistant with angina.  Your episodes of syncope are a little more concerning, and should be the focus of your evaluation. An event monitor could be a start along with an echo.

2) the blood pressure you list is perfectly normal.

3) I do not know whats causing your abdominal pain, but it most likely is not realted to the blood pressure. The left arm and shoulder share innervation with some of the nerves that attach to your stomach and spleen. Sometimes ulcers or other abdominal processes can refer pain to the arm.

I think you need a careful physical and thourough medical history form an internal medicine physician to try to discern where the pain is coming from before any further referrals o specialist.

good luck
Maybe they should start looking for neuralogical signs.  This sounds all so familiar, to what I went through, right down to the pain in the abdomen.  It took 8 years before my heart specialist decided on an MRI, and then they finally realised I had Multiple Sclerosis.  I hope they check all avenues for you, good luck!
Thank you for your comments.  My doctor has scheduled me for a stress test to test my heart as well as an MRI to test neurological functions.
My daughter is 19 and will be 20 at the end of this month.  She has had symptoms similar to those described above.  Last summer she had abdominal pains and a high fever.  At first appendicitus was suspected but then a viral cause seemed likely.  The abdominal pains continued but gradually subsided over the next few months especially after starting regular use of ibupropen.  Then 2-3 months after the beginning of the abdominal pain she began to experience numbness in her feet.  After a couple of months it went away but now she experiences numbness on her left side (above the waist) and especially in her left arm and hand. (She has been seen by several doctors).  Now she has been referred to a neurologist who is testing her for MS (and I guess other possibilities).  Her aunt just suggested it may be a thyroid problem as she had similar sympoms and several members of the family on both sides have had thyroid problems.  We are hoping the problem turns out to be thyroid or a mysterious virus rather than MS.
I am experiencing numbness and tingling in my left hand, arm and shoulder to about the middle of my back.  I take a blood pressure pill each day and my blood pressure is normal.  What could be causing my numbness?
A related discussion, tingling in hands was started.
A related discussion, numbness of both hands and arms was started.
A related discussion, poison was started.