Heart Disease Expert Forum
Ocassional Drinking / 6 Stints in Heart

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Ocassional Drinking / 6 Stints in Heart
I am 40 years old and had a heart attack when I was 32.  I have no damage to my heart but my pipes tend to get clogged.  I currently have 6 stints in my heart and as of a cardiac cath about 3 days ago, I was told I only have one artery with 30% blockage and the stints are holding very well.

I do not have high blood pressure it actually tends to run a little on the low side at times.

This leads to my question.  I rarely drink anymore but I am planning a trip very soon to go out of town and get away for about a week.  I know this will involve some drinking and maybe a slight amount of over indulgence seeing as it only takes me 3-4 beers to get a heavy buzz when I do drink.

What risk if any am I overlooking here?  Is it ok to go out on occasion and have several drinks?  

Thanks!
Hi acrow,

As you know, the recommendation of doctors is usually to do everything in moderation.  There are studies that show that binge drinking is more harmful to your heart than drinking over a steady time period.  For your long-term health, I'd stick to a maximum of one glass of wine or a beer a day (as long as you don't have heart failure, liver issues, uncontrolled diabetes, etc).  You should discuss this with your doctor.

If you just had a heart catheterization a few days ago, I'm assuming you are having some type of symptoms that prompted reevaluation of your coronary arteries.  Therefore, I'd take it easy and not overdo it with the alcohol.  You are correct in that the immediate risks with heavy drinking in terms of the heart are usually related to elevation in blood pressure as long as you don't have heart failure or significant blockages in your heart.  Again, I would still stick to having just a drink a night and finding other ways to relax on your trip.  Given you have had 6 stents placed and are a young patient, you should do everything you can to keep yourself as healthy as possible.

Hope this helps!
CCFHeartMD20