Heart Disease Expert Forum
Okay to have laparoscopic surgery if I have atrial fibrillation & h...
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Okay to have laparoscopic surgery if I have atrial fibrillation & hypertrophic cardiomyopathy?

Greetings, Doctors,

I'll be 76 in November and am in pretty good shape, working-out with free weights and the treadmill and stomach exercises, but I'll need surgery for inguinal hernia, and I have atrial fibrillation & hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. I take only .125mg digoxin and 81mg aspirin daily because my blood pressure is good, but my surgeon thinks it better to do the alternative surgery because of less anaesthesia. I'm not asking you to judge his decision--I'd just like to know if you know of people like me having laparoscopic surgery for inguinal hernias. I also have found over the years that many doctors and surgeons have become what I feel to be over-cautious. I know an 82-year-old man who's in good shape too (but who doesn't have heart problems) who had laparoscopic surgery for his hernia and was out of the hospital the same day.

Thank you very much,
   Morty from Jackson Heights, Queens, N.Y.