Heart Disease Expert Forum
Omacor and Lipids

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Omacor and Lipids

If one were taking over-the-counter fish oil to achieve all the benefits of Omega-3s, would a better choice be the prescription fish oil, Omacor? Cost is not a factor, nor is lowering triglycerides. The only goal is to lower LDL and raise HDL. Fish oil is touted as having many benefits, yet Omacor seems only to be prescribed for high triglyceride levels. Is Omacor just a highly refined and consistent fish oil? If so, why is a prescription required?
Hi zyven,

This is a tough question.  I am not sure what the difference is between over the counter fish oil and Omacaor.  It is probably a purity isshe.

Fish oils are used for a variety of different reasons. I have never recommended that someone take them.  The jury is still out on what their main benefit is.  There is data that fish oil may decrease the amount of smaller LDL particles.  There is meta analysis data to suggest that fish oil decreases sudden death and non fatal MI's.  

Omacor itself is indicated for lowering tryglcerides.  If you are trying to raise LDL and HDL, there are better options.  If your LDL is where it shoud be depending on your risk factors, a fenofibrate is probably a better choice.  If your LDL is too high, a statin is indicated first until you reach goal, then adding a fenofibrate.

I hope this answers your questions.   Thanks for posting and good luck.
Sorry to cut in on this thread, but it seemed as though there was some room to continue a discussion on an earlier thread.  

Hi Upbeat!!

I hardly ever get pvcs since my ablation.  On occasion, I will get an isolated pvc or a short spell of nsvt (maybe 6-7  beats).  No comparison to the constant  pvcs I used to get.  After my first ablation, I wore a holter monitor and it recorded about 5000-6000 pvcs....I was thrilled, but the doctor wanted to reduce the number even further.  So, a second ablation was scheduled for 3 months after the first.  That was November 2003 and I'm doing well.

Just got my most recent stress/echo report and EF is 60% and leaky valve is stable.  I think they said I had ONE pvc -- I didn't even feel it : 0

I also apologize for butting in on this thread....

But I wanted to say how glad I was that you've received some much needed relief from those PVCs. That's fantastic news. I'd be pleased too after the first ablation to only have 5 or 6000/day. That's funny isn't it. But I'm glad you had a second ablation and it was successful. Hope it stays to only the occassional PVC for you. Guess my future holds a periodic echo to check heart structure too cause it does seem like we share the same history. Happy Thanksgiving